After passing the WQE, students should form a doctoral committee and prepare to take the Oral Qualifying Examination (OQE). To make satisfactory academic progress, students should take and pass the OQE no later than the end of their 4th year (12th term) of enrollment.
The nature and content of the oral qualifying examination are at the discretion of the doctoral committee, but generally the student gives a talk, followed by questions from the faculty.
Students must be enrolled during the quarter they take the OQE.
NOMINATING A DOCTORAL COMMITTEE:
A doctoral committee consists of a minimum of four members. Three members, including the chair, must hold appointments in the Computer Science Department at UCLA. The remaining member must be a UCLA faculty member outside the Computer Science Department. The Graduate Division must approve a doctoral committee before the OQE can be held.
The Nomination of Doctoral Committee form is available at www.gdnet.ucla.edu/gasaa/library/docnomin.pdf.
HOW TO PREPARE: Students should familiarize themselves with the regulations for the doctoral qualifying examinations detailed on page 20 in the Standards & Procedures for Graduate Study at UCLA.
ORAL QUALIFYING EXAM – CHECKLIST
REQUIREMENTS(DUE BEFORE ANYTHING ELSE CAN GO FORWARD)
- Breadth Requirement Form (Due by the end of your 3rd year (9th quarter) of study
- Proposal of Fields (Due by the end of your 3rd year (9th quarter) of study
- WQE (Due by the end of your 6th quarter of study)
- All Coursework
NOMINATE YOUR DOCTORAL COMMITTEE (6 WEEKS before exam)
- Read the Doctoral Committee Regulations, printed in Standards and Procedures for Graduate Study at UCLA (http://www.gdnet.ucla.edu/gasaa/library/spfgs.pdf), beginning on page 10.
- Complete the Nomination of Doctoral Committee Form www.gdnet.ucla.edu/gasaa/library/docnomin.pdf
- Have your committee chair sign off on the form
- Bring the completed document to 4403 Boelter Hall 6 weeks prior to the exam.
REMOTE REQUEST – IF NECESSARY (6 WEEKS BEFORE EXAM)
If a member of your committee wishes to participate remotely (and only 1 “inside” member may do so, not including the chair), you must also at this time turn in a written request from your committee chair requesting remote participation for that member.
SCHEDULE A ROOM (4 WEEKS BEFORE EXAM)
- Coordinate with your committee to find a date and time that will work for all of them
- Go to the CS Graduate Student Affairs Office at 4403 with your date and time. They will schedule a room for you.
SUBMIT PROSPECTUS TO DOCTORAL COMMITTEE (2 WEEKS BEFORE EXAM)
- Email or deliver your prospectus to each of your committee members
- Email a copy to the Graduate Student Affairs Office
AFTER YOU COMPLETE YOUR QUALS, the doctoral committee chair submits the Report on Oral Qualifying Exam to CS Graduate Student Affairs Office. Once the report is processed, you will be charged fees that total $90 (for your Candidacy for Doctoral Degree). We suggest you check your BAR account 10-15 days after you complete your Quals.
If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to visit the CS Graduate Student Affairs Office, or email Jeanette Reyes at email@example.com.
Due to various University Policies, failure to complete these steps without their allotted lead time (6 weeks, 4 weeks, and 2 weeks prior to your scheduled exam) may result in requiring you to reschedule your exam.
An individual studies class, CS597C: Preparation for Ph.D. Oral Qualifying Examination, is offered for variable units (2-12) and may be used to satisfy the minimum 12-unit course work requirement each quarter.
NRST WAIVER: Beginning the quarter immediately after the OQE is passed, non-resident supplemental tuition (NRST) is waived for up to nine quarters. If nine quarters pass without the filing of the dissertation, non-resident tuition charges are reinstituted.