Select Page

General Information For Current CS Graduate Students


For information regarding guidelines and procedures for obtaining a graduate degree, refer to theStandards & Procedures for Graduate Study at UCLA. A pdf of this publication is available online at


Your Academic Advisor assists you with planning your course of study and answering questions concerning courses, course materials, and research in your area of interest. Therefore, it is important that you meet with your academic advisor regularly throughout your graduate studies at UCLA. You may select an advisor from the list of current faculty in the Computer Science Department. You may always change your advisor, by completing the “Petition for Change of Advisor” available in the Graduate Student Affairs Office. For a list of faculty and links to their web pages, go to: Faculty


All graduate students must be enrolled in at least 12 units each quarter to maintain full-time student status. Students are responsible for checking your study list on MyUCLA prior to the third week of classes to ensure that you have enrolled in the correct courses.

Enrollment appointments are published on the Registrar’s Office webpage:

Enrollment in upper-division undergrad courses (100-level courses) beginafterthe date of the “Second Pass.”(You may override warnings about unmet prerequisite courses by clicking the box below the prompt.)

Additional University and department deadlines can be found online at Graduate Program Deadlines.


Individual Studies Classes are offered for variable units and may be used to satisfy the minimum 12-unit course work requirement each quarter. (Students must enroll for the course number that corresponds to their academic advisor. By enrolling in these courses, students agree to meet regularly with their academic advisor during the quarter.) Select the appropriate course according to your program of study:

CS 298: Research Seminar: Computer Science (2-4 units). S/U grading.
CS 596: Directed Individual or Tutorial Studies (2-8 units). S/U grading.

CS 597a: Preparation for MS Comprehensive Exam (2-12 units). S/U grading.
CS 598: Research for and Preparation of MS Thesis (2-12 units). S/U grading.

CS 597b: Preparation for PhD Preliminary Exams (2-16 units). S/U grading.
CS 597c: Preparation for PhD Oral Qualifying Exam (2-16 units). S/U grading.
CS 599: Research for and Preparation of PhD Thesis (2-16 units). S/U grading


MyUCLA allows you to have real-time access to your academic, financial, and personal records. You use MyUCLA to enroll in courses, access your BruinBill account, and maintain your contact information. For more information, go to

MyUCLA availability:
Monday All day
Tuesday–Friday 6:00 a.m. – 1:00 a.m.
Saturday 6:00 a.m. – 1:00 a.m.
Sunday 6:00 p.m. – 12:00 a.m.


Teaching apprenticeships (TA-ships) are available on a limited basis depending on enrollment in courses and the department’s annual budget.

PhD students are given priority consideration for TA-ships, as they are required to satisfy a teaching requirement (at least one quarter) during their course of study at UCLA. MS students with the appropriate background may also be considered for teaching appointments as the need arises. Applications for TA-ships are available at the Graduate Student Affairs Office or online at, and must be submitted to the Graduate Student Affairs Office. TAs will be notified by email of an offer.

International students who are not native speakers of English are required to take and pass the TEST OF ORAL PROFICIENCY (TOP) before working as a TA in any department at UCLA. For more information about the TOP, go to

Graduate students who serve as TAs must pass CS 495: Teaching Assistant Training Seminar. An equivalent teaching training seminar may be acceptable. Contact Prof. Richard Korf ( if you believe you have already taken an equivalent course.

Teaching Apprentices must be registered and enrolled in a minimum of 12 units by the end of the third week of the quarter of their appointment or their benefits (fee remissions and health insurance) will be cancelled. TAs must have at least a 3.0 GPA at the time of their employment.

For information about Fee Remission Benefits for Teaching Apprentices, go to Fee remissions do not cover all graduate student fees. It is the responsibility of the graduate student to ensure that those additional fees are paid by the applicable deadlines.


Faculty and staff primarily communicate with students through email. Therefore, it’s important that you check your email regularly for important deadlines, notices, and announcements. Not all messages may apply to you so pay attention to the subject line. To apply for a departmental computer account, see Charlie Fritzius in 3413 BH. For more information on CS Computer Account policies, go to: Department Computing Facility


In addition to a department email account, students may also create a UCLA Logon ID, your campus online identifier. It is used for authentication to most online services on campus. It also provides eligible users with access to Bruin OnLine services that such as an e-mail account, network access, web hosting service, etc. To create and manage your account, go to For Bruin Online information, go to:


BruinAlert was developed to communicate official information during an emergency or crisis that disrupts normal operation of the UCLA campus or threatens the health and safety of members of the campus community. Students with current e-mail addresses in MyUCLA are automatically enrolled in BruinAlert. Find more information at


All students are assigned a BruinBill account. A BruinBill account records all charges and payments (excluding housing) associated with registration along with other service charges that are assessed to students. Accounts are administered electronically (eBill, through MyUCLA).

We encourage you to check your BAR account regularly. Miscellaneous fees accrue throughout the quarter and are due by the 20th of each month. If unpaid, a late fee will be applied to your account each month.


A swipe card is required to access the Graduate Workstation, Graduate Lounge, Graduate Student Offices, and department labs. To obtain a department swipe card, see Marty Revilla in 4732-L. You will be required to make a $10 deposit for the key, fully refundable after you complete the your studies at the department.


If you have questions regarding your employment paperwork and payroll issues at UCLA as a teaching apprentice or graduate researcher, speak with Freda Robinson, our department Payroll Coordinator, in 4732-G BH or email her at


Parking for students is limited. However, if you have questions regarding a parking issue as part of your employment in the department as a teaching assistant or graduate researcher, speak with Marty Revilla in 4732-L BH or email him at


Direct questions regarding computer hardware and/or software to the staff at the Department Computing Facility at


To request a letter to verify student status, please email the Graduate Student Affairs Office 2-3 days in advance with the following information. You will be notified when the letter is ready:

  • Your name
  • Student ID number
  • Purpose of the letter
  • To whom the letter should be addressed
  • Expected degree date
  • Other relevant information


The Graduate Student Workstation (3286 BH) is equipped with computers, printers, and a scanner for graduate student use. Students must have a swipe card to have access to the workstation. (See “Department Keys” for information about requesting a swipe card.)


Students may work, play, and relax in the Graduate Student Lounge (3256-S BH). Work: Tables, chairs, and a soon-to-be installed whiteboard and presentation screen are available for student meetings. Relax/Play: The Lounge also has comfortable couches and a regulation foosball table.


The availability of student offices and access to department equipment like copiers, telephones, etc. is limited. Students should speak to their advisor regarding availability.


Graduate student mailboxes are located in the Graduate Student Affairs Office, 4403 Boelter Hall. Keep in mind that these mailboxes are to be used for University business only. Unclaimed letters, publications, and packages are either returned to the sender unopened or discarded each year at the end of the summer quarter. It is your responsibility to check the mailbox if you are expecting mail. The Graduate Student Office is not responsible for lost or damaged mail.


The School of Engineering has a small student-run snack shop located in 5800 BH. Students may purchase beverages and snacks (coffee, soda, chips, ice cream). Cash only.