UCLA Computer Science Department
FINAL DEFENSE – CHECKLIST
1. (OPTIONAL) RECONSTITUTE your doctoral committee (6 WEEKS BEFORE EXAM)
- If you need to add or change a committee member: Complete Sections I and II of the RECONSTITUTION OF COMMITTEE FORM.
Form found at: www.gdnet.ucla.edu/gasaa/library/docreconst.pdf
- Every member of the new committee must sign in the column next to their name.
- Submit the form in to the Grad Affairs Office in 4403 Boelter Hall 6 weeks prior to the exam.
2. (OPTIONAL) REQUEST ONE REMOTE PARTICIPANT (6 WEEKS BEFORE EXAM)
- If a member of your committee wishes to attend remotely (and only 1 “inside” member may do so, excluding the chair), submit a written request from your chair requesting remote participation for that member.
3. SCHEDULE A ROOM (4 WEEKS BEFORE EXAM)
- Coordinate with your committee to find a date and time that will work for all of them.
- E-mail Jeanette Reyes (email@example.com), and include the following information:
- Subject of email: Final Defense Schedule Request
- Requested date and time of exam
- Title of your dissertation
- An abstract summary, of around 100 words
4. SUBMIT DRAFT OF DISSERTATION TO COMMITTEE MEMBERS (4 WEEKS BEFORE EXAM)
- Refer to the “Policies and Procedures for Dissertation Preparation and Filing” found at www.gdnet.ucla.edu/gasaa/etd/thesisguide.pdf.
- Email or deliver your dissertation to your committee members
5. DEFEND YOUR DISSERTATION
6. FILE ONLINE
- Follow the instructions at https://grad.ucla.edu/gasaa/etd/filingrequirements.pdf
- Inform your committee that your dissertation has been uploaded, and is ready for final approval.
- Send an email to Jeanette Reyes (firstname.lastname@example.org) stating that you have uploaded your dissertation.
- Due to various University Policies, failure to complete these steps without their allotted lead time may result in requiring you to reschedule your exam.