Doctoral students must satisfy the Computer Science Breadth Requirement by the end of their 3rd year (9th quarter) of enrollment at UCLA, and before taking the Oral Qualifying Examination. Students may submit this form to the CS Graduate Student Affairs Office with coursework in progress, or to be completed the subsequent quarter. The office staff will verify grade/s and completion at the end of the quarter. The requirement is satisfied by mastering the contents of five undergraduate courses: Computer Science 180, two courses from 111, 118, and M151B, one course from 130, 131, or 132, and one course from 143, 161, or 174A.
Students may select one or more of the following methods to meet the requirements for the 5 upper-division undergraduate courses:
- UCLA COURSE: Take the required UCLA course and receive a grade of B-or better. Indicate the academic term of course completion and the grade received. (CS Graduate Student Affairs Office staff will verify grades.)
- EXAM: The certifying instructor waives the need to take the course based on one or more exams,typically the midterm and final exam for the course offered at UCLA. The certifying instructor must sign the breadth requirement form to certify completion of the course requirement.
- EQUIVALENT COURSE: Apply an equivalent course taken at another college/university in which a grade of B-minus or better was earned. Indicate:
- Course name and number
- Grade received (CS Graduate Student Affairs Office staff will verify grades on transcripts.)
- Signature of instructor certifying equivalence
For the Ph.D. degree, students must also complete at least three terms of CS201 with grades of Satisfactory (in addition to the three terms of CS201 that may have been completed for the M.S. degree). The Breadth Requirements form and instructions are available here.
The Computer Science course descriptions are available at: http://www.seasoasa.ucla.edu/hsseas-announcements/
Tentative schedules of classes are available at: http://www.registrar.ucla.edu/schedule/schedulehome.aspx